Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What's been happening here lately...August edition.

Summer is flying by...like the wind through your hair. (I crack myself up with these clever sayings.) August so far has been...

Elsa on her way to the garden, all set with her bucket! Although she's not much help, Oliver actually does pick things. I look forward to the years they are real help...

Picky. As in reaping what we sow. Green beans, peas, green beans, cute-mummers (heh. a downs girl I used to work with called 'em that, and I still do.), summer squash, green beans, and, oh yes, green beans have been coming in. The kids and I also made it to Jennifer's to pick raspberries. And now chokecherries are almost ready.

Num-num-num.

I love thinking "what's for supper?"

Than: "let me go look in the garden and see."

My one thought on the garden for next year: Add a little more variety. Despite that, this year's garden has mostly been a roaring success. Yum.

Anyone need green beans?

With August, summer-the heat and humidity, anyhow-finally arrived. We finally had a few days when all you wanted to do was be in the water.

So that's what we did.


But the heat left with a bang Sunday morning. Literally.


This white pine at the cabin was struck by lightning. Again. Yes, again. For as long as I remember, there had been a large black scar all the way down the trunk from it's first encounter with lightening.

This time it lost the fight.




Have you ever seen a tree struck by lightening? Wow. The power of it is impressive. This tree was the largest around our cabin, and it was shattered. Shrapnel flew as far as 200 or so feet down the road, over the cabin into the river...everywhere.

So, we called in the troops.

Fortunately, the only damage to the cabin was a few missing window panes.

For that, we are thankful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take some green beans!
Those pictures of the white pine are pretty impressive.
-Katrina

joan j said...

No. I do not need green beans. I've decided that I have enough of those! Good thing the beloved cabin didn't get any damage! :)

Lori said...

what a fun summer:) I am jealous of your garden....and when I was in vermont for a summer, a tree was struck by lightening..it was crazy!