Saturday, September 25, 2010

Apple Season

Nanna and Pappa's apples are ripe, so we spent today making applesauce, dried apples and fruit leather.

Oliver got to climb the apple tree. While spotting him (he's never really climbed a tree before) I was reminiscing that I remember when these trees were planted; I was probably about his age. They weren't of climbing height back then.

Elsa desperately wanted to climb as well...until she realized she was up high, the branches were poky and she had to hold on herself. She opted to keep her feet on the ground.


Howie was a big help as well...


Seven or so hours of apple cleaning, machining, and cooking and I came home with a huge bowlful waiting to be canned and enjoyed over the winter. We made both chunky-with-honey and smooth-with-sugar versions with the thought that my little Howie will be big enough to enjoy the smooth version in only a few months, while the rest of us really like the chunky style. The evening ended with fresh, warm, homemade applesauce topped with vanilla ice cream. Absolutely delish!



2 comments:

spi said...

I love the first picture. "I got it!" I am also amazed that those trees are big enough to climb. With the luck we had while we were growing up I never thought they would ever get big enough.

I guess I will have to take a closer look at them the next time I am home.

Anonymous said...

Yum, I'm jealouse of your bounty!
-Katrina