Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Things to do

Oliver: Dad have a BIG horsie.. me have a little horsie to ride.
A few moments of contemplation...
Mom have a cow.
Gee, thanks.

This came while Oliver and Eric were looking at Mother Earth News. Have you ever read that magazine? Eric brought one home, and I really enjoyed it; it's given me the itch to be very ambitious both now and next spring. Things to do that came from that magazine:
  • Get that chicken coop done and get some chickens. Not only will we have our own free range eggs, but hopefully it'll cut way down on tics and maybe (?) mosquitoes.
  • Plant a decent size garden, maybe with 'heirloom' seeds, then save our own seeds for next year.
  • Get over to Gramma R's and learn how to make those awesome wool braided rugs she makes. Then make some for our house.
  • Learn the art of making good compost.
  • Make more of that awesome refrigerator 5-minute a day artisan bread I've been making, but try the whole wheat version they have in this issue.
  • subscribe to this...but then I might have more on my list than humanly possible...
I realized the other day that with being done with school, I have no real 'deadlines' anymore. I go to work, do my thing and come home. Even at work, deadlines don't exist, as there are no ongoing projects or anything. This is great! It leads me to think I'm actually gonna get a chance to do some of those things on that list. Not to mention that life is much more relaxing. Sometimes. Today wasn't 'relaxing' so much, (it was really one of those days, I don't know how many times I heard "Hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me") but at least there were no deadlines to deal with!

2 comments:

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

I've been inspired by various sources to plant an heirloom garden. I'd like to do an all heirloom garden! Wouldn't that be awesome. From what I've read, they can be tastier than their engineered counterparts.

And, I personally recommend the chickens!! We love ours! :)

'No deadlines' feels pretty good, doesn't it. Enjoy it!

Ev said...

You know what's sick? "Free-range Chickens" on a label at the store just means the chickens have access to the outdoors. But the chickens are bred in such a way that their torso is too big for their spindly legs to hold their weight and they just topple over if they try to walk, so there is no way they're "ranging" outdoors. I just read about that and thought I'd share.