Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Job, shcmob

You know what I absolutely hate? Job searching. I've picked up this ball again over the last few days, and still detest it.

The job I'm working right now as a Private Duty Nurse has pretty much run it's course for me. On the one had, it's decent income, and pretty much stress-free. (and in these economic times, simply, a job) On the other, my brain is turning to mush. I have a burning need to learn, to expand my boundaries. To do. (I'm at work as I type this. Does that tell you anything about the low activity level??)

I hate applications and resumes. I know they need some way to see your qualifications, but as a relatively new nurse, I just don't really have a whole heck of a lot to put down on paper. Saying that 'I'm eager to learn and grow' just can't compete with 10 years experience. So I always feel like I'm sold a little short when I click the 'submit' button...and start the waiting game...

Another thing I dislike? Interviews. They make my heart go into palpitations. But, I'm ready for change. Change is good.

May one of those recently submitted apps find its way to the top of a pile;)

So, this leads me to a question for you-What do you look for in a nurse? Do you have stories to share from your own personal experiences? What makes a 'good' nurse versus a 'bad' nurse? I'm curious, and always enjoy filing away these little tidbits for future use!

***

P.S. I love to hear comments, if you don't have an account, you can still comment as 'anonymous.' Just sign your post, please, so I know who's there!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the job search thing it is a pain. A good nurse
well I guess personality and caring
although how do you let people know.

Cheryl said...

I'm going to have to keep my eye on this one :) I have never seen you in action, but knowing as much about you as I do, I can tell that you would be a great nurse. You are knowledgable, kind, friendly.. the whole package!

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Anna, can I just ditto the whole thing? :)
The health care profession always needs loyal listeners and people who want to learn and keep learning and find out information they don't know!

Anonymous said...

here's a "bad" nurse story....when i was five and in the hospital for a few days, i vomitted on my pillow at night. the nurse came in, sighed, and told me to just turn my pillow over. since i slept on my tummy with hands under pillow, i woke up often with puke hands.
here's a "good" story. when sonja was in the hospital, and very nervous, the nurse really took the time to soothe her--she was a child, not a number. i wrote thank-you's to all her nurses, they were so caring.
~ann b.

joan j said...

Nurses that impress me the most are the ones who walk in the room with a smile and ask how you're doing....then actually listen to what you say. They have to be upbeat and positive, and they have to laugh. There is nothing, NOTHING worse than a burned out nurse. I feel like I can just pick them out as soon as they walk into a room. Ugh. Depressing. Anna (and Cal) I think both of you will be excellent nurses. It says a lot when you both went to school while you have families. Obviously you truly want to be in the profession. Ok, I'm hopping off my soap box now! :) Good luck with those apps!

Anonymous said...

rodney and i have spent our fair share of time in the hospital - different than private nursing, i know, but...a good nurse tells you what they're doing, and why. they ask if you need anything, and waits until you have time to think and respond before they move on to other things. a bad nurse doesn't even make eye contact. a bad nurse also doesn't like it when you ask where/when the doctor will be available.

can't remember my password or something - andrea

Ev said...

I feel your pain. I hate job searching, too. Good luck, stay positive, and remember that the interview process will be worth it if you can get out of where you are now!